Although I love Mexican food with all my heart, I have never been a huge carnitas fan. When I've had carnitas at restaurants, the most noticeable flavor has been fat and the texture is mushy. I was reintroduced to carnitas last Labor Day when some friends made the most amazing, crispy, flavorful carnitas, and I haven't stopped thinking about them since. So, I decided to make them for a Super Bowl party and had to share the recipe here.
A few benefits of this recipe from Smitten Kitchen:
- Great for a crowd - I quintupled it (is that how you say times five??)
- Pork butt is a very inexpensive cut of meat. I got 15 pounds at Costco for $30
- You need 6 basic ingredients
- It is easy. You just need time
- You can make it into tacos, sandwiches or make a "very healthy" salad!